Friday 31 January 2014

FIVE STEPS I FOUND TO HELP IN DEPRESSING TIMES

unhappy golfer behind the caddy

The word depression means severe, typically prolonged, feelings of despondency, and dejection. Literally to be "pressed" down. Often we allow self-doubt to creep in and this swiftly turns to depression. In the word of God we see Saul depressed because he felt rejected. 

We are called to exercise control in our diet, taking all precautions. We should order our life according to the laws of health, as this can also prevent depression. Many are unaware that our diet can affect our minds and our disposition. Therefore we should be very careful in eating that which is nourishing but not stimulating, that our nerves may be calm.

In the word of God we read Saul was depressed because he felt rejected. Saul's depression was rooted in the fact that he had disobeyed God's clear direction for his life. On the other hand, we see that David also was depressed but his depression was a direct result of his family as well as some of his close friends rejecting him because he chose to follow God's plan for his life.

Whatever may be the cause of depression God has a remedy for it. We should practice at all times to radiate sunshine in all circumstances. By controlling our nerves and mind when depressed; even when we are sick, we can, if we teach ourselves, be pleasant and cheerful. Although many will not admit to it too often we become sensitive to what others may think of our habits, the way we dress, and our opinions; and, to a great extent, we become slaves to the thought of how others may regard us. It is indeed a sad thing that we should be controlled more by the thoughts of others; what our neighbors and friends will think of us.

Here are five steps to recovery when troubled with depression. Always be aware God has a plan for your healing.

1.   THIRST FOR GOD - David recognized that the only one who could rescue him from his feeling of being pressed down was God and so he cried out to him. "As my soul pants for the water, so longs my soul for you Lord. (Psalm 42:1-2)

2.    CALL HIMI was crying to the Lord with my voice, and He answered me. (Psalm 3:4) Yes I know sometimes the remedy seems so simple that we refuse to try them, our first response is to tell others instead of the Creator who made all things.

3.   BELIEVE He is able to hear - ...the Lord has heard the voice of my weeping. O yes, my friends, He hears and answers when you call so do not be afraid to believe that He is able. (Psalm 6:8)

4.  PRAYER... prayer is so simple yet many neglect it. David prayed because he recognized that prayer is power... "As for me, I shall call upon God, and the Lord will save me evening and morning and at noon, I will complain and murmur, and He will hear my voice. Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never allow you to be shaken. (Psalm 55:16, 17, 22).

5.   PRAISE - the songwriter says "praise Him in advance." a good practice to develop, nothing works like praise, and the one who hears and delivers will come speedily and restore you. "Lord, how long will You look on? Was David's response, " rescue my soul (from depression), I will give you thanks, I will praise you." (Psalm 35:17-18).

Here is a short prayer :

Heavenly Father, I thank you that it is you who goes ahead of me; you will be with me, you will not fail me or forsake me. Therefore I will not fear or be dismayed. (Deuteronomy 31:8) You found me and encircled me, you cared for me and guarded me as the apple of your eyes. (Deuteronomy 32:10). Lord help my heart to receive the Word of God and be filled with it; heal me from this depression, and give me joy. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment